Thursday, August 11, 2011

Support a Good Cause

First, I would like to apologize for my blogging absence. I've been traveling quite extensively around the country (even Hawaii) teaching Christian citizenship to high school students.

One of the principles that I base my Christian citizenship speeches on is the Christian calling to be a good steward with what God has given you. In the United States, we have been blessed with a system of government that allows us to make a difference by participating. And that is a wonderful thing.

But being politically active is neither a fix all or the sum total required for Christians. In fact there are many other things. One other one is money.

No one likes being told what to do with their money. It is ours. Keep your hands off.

But that is not biblical. The Bible makes it clear to Christians that the money they have is a gift entrusted to us with the expectation that we do good with it. Part of that is taking care of ourselves and our families so we are not a drain on the government, church, or society.

Another part of it is using our money to help the poor and the vulnerable. Another part is to support the work that grows the Church.

One of my good friends (and former housemate) is working as a missionary in Mexico. Dan has always had a heart for missions and for the children in 3rd world nations. I remember when he finally decided that he would quite his job and go to Mexico, I looked at him and said "Finally!" I could see God's anointing on him in this area, and I was so excited to see him step out into it whole heartily. He now teaches and administers a small Christian school. He recently came back stateside to raise support. And it was wonderful to see them and hear a little about what God is doing through him and his new wife.

I would encourage you to think about supporting their work in Mexico!

You can give Here. Just put Dan Burns in the "Specific Missionary" box. For more information about the work they are doing you can check out the school website: http://www.pueblachristianschool.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...