Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Darren Aronofsky's NOAH: A Conversation

It has been a long time since I have written a film review for this website. I only write reviews when films touch me in a particular way or motivate me to want to share about them, and 2013 was a bad year for me at the movies. But this weekend I saw a film that moved me to tears. And then the internet exploded. Evangelical Christians waged war against each other and against a host of ideas that are alleged to be represented by the film "Noah." As I walked out of church on Sunday, thinking about how the Facebook wars were only intensifying, I came to the understanding that simply writing a review and expressing myself in writing would only fuel the uglier parts of that fire, and not be conducive to productive dialog. I believe that the best dialog occurs face to face as people sit together and discuss as friends around the table. So rather than write a review, I asked two friends, a filmmaker and a pastor, to join me in discussing the film. The immediately agreed. One of them, the pastor, hadn't even seen the movie, but as soon as I asked him, he immediately went out and watched it so he would be prepared to discuss it. I am thankful to both of them for their willingness to serve others and make themselves available for me.

And so, I present Looking for Overland's first video blog! The first section is fairly spoiler free and good to watch whether or not you've seen the film. The remainder of the video tackles the specific issues that are in the film and while it will "spoil" the movie, if you are the kind of person that has read the reviews and articles before seeing the film, you should watch it. It's a worthwhile discussion, even if you ultimately decide to never watch Noah for yourself.



For the first thirty minutes, our panel, filmmaker Brandon Rice, seminary graduate and pastoral staff member Jake Putich, and filmmaker Daniel Noa, discuss their thoughts and takeaways from the film; the second thirty minute section addresses some of the criticisms being leveled against the film from the Christian community, while the last twenty minutes explores the nature of the reaction against Noah and why Christians are so divided over the release of this film. You can also listen to the conversation via SoundCloud.




Click here for more movie reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...