Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Where were you?

News consumption has come a long way in the past ten years, as dramatically indicated by the way people found out about the death of Osama bin Laden.

On 9/11, when people heard about the attack on the World Trade Center, they turned to the TV. Not so on 5/1. Rather, social media spread the news even before the news outlets or President Obama had the chance to formally make the announcement. Twitter, for example, had the “highest sustained rate of Tweets ever.”

Tweets per second.


My wife and I, who are usually fairly well connected, didn’t know that Osama bin Laden had been killed until the morning of May 2. Rather than being online, we spent Sunday evening watching TV.

HT: Michelle Malkin

7 comments:

  1. I found out by reading the headline Monday morning in our local newspaper. How old school of me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was asleep when the news broke, got up, did my Bible study, and showered. Only then did I pick up my iPhone and saw the CNN alert, two text messages, and, of course, 100s of tweets on twitter. (in that order). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phone call saying to turn on the tv :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow... you guys are so out of it. I saw Ben Butterfield's status said "Bin Laden's dead." and I was like what? so I turned on CNN and the President had yet to speak. of course, it was far earlier here. What TV were you watching? NBC interrupted their broadcast, and even Cartoon Network ran a ticker. I assume you were watching something pre-recorded?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We were watching CBS, but only until just after 10:00 (I had a final Monday morning).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got back from Sunday night Bible Study and saw Willie D's gtag. I googled it, and there was almost nothing online. The news stories were all about 9-11, except for the opening line about him being dead. The rest was them reminding us who Bin Ladin was. As if we'd ever forget!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nick, that's really ironic. :-)

    I can't really remember what we were doing Sunday night, but we got up Monday morning and Jonathan found it on his headlines first thing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...