Friday, February 24, 2012

Why This Dyslexic Reads Books

This year I enjoyed reading books like the Cookie Monster eats cookies.

Reading has always been fun, but I think what really sparked this adventure was the institution of a new policy and reading a book that was sitting on my shelf for almost eight years.

Before I tell you about the book and the policy, I want to tell you the story of a cute little boy with dark hair and dazzling brown eyes. This heroic lad would impress ladies at the check-out counter because “he had such beautiful brown eyes!” In fact, if you have a chance to talk with this fellow about it today, his look will become wistful and he will wish that he got a dollar every time someone said that; because, he thinks, he would now be a millionaire.

However, as dashing as this young chap was, all his charm would fade when Valentine's Day would come around. Why? Because fear gripped his heart at the idea of writing a Valentine's Day card. It was not fear of girls, nor was it shyness or disdain. What made our hero quake was the fact that he could not write.

It was not the letters; oh, he knew the alphabet backwards. It was spelling. He could not spell or even read. He was dyslexic. Being dyslexic is hard. You don't always think sentences in order. You mess up math very easily. You make friends for their reading skills. (Okay, I'll admit it, the “you” here is me.)

I am dyslexic, and I love books. In other words, I am a silversmith without a hand. I am a painter without use of arms. I am a deaf composer.

Fortunately, there are two heroes in this story: my mom and dad. They decided to homeschool their little ruffian and spend painful hours they could have spent much more pleasantly slowly teaching their boy. I do not use the term hero lightly for my mom and dad who gave hours upon hours encouraging, helping, and loving. It makes me tear-up just thinking about it...

I still don't honestly know when it is “normal” for kids to start reading. I was 11 when it finally clicked. I was struggling to read Dr Seuss, but even so, I decided that I was going to conquer a chapter of the Hardy Boys. Reading is still slow work for me, and audiobooks are my friends. But despite it all, it is worth it.

So all these years later, let me tell you about a book that I doubt you'd like: Caesar’s War Commentaries. I paid a buck for it at a library sale. It is somewhat dull. I had to force myself to read ten or so pages a night, but one night it hit me. Although the battles, places, and people involved were just a blur of names and dates, there had to be a reason that Caesar wrote this book. I began to look for it, and I was shocked at how clear it became. He was writing to those still in Rome to remind them that he existed, that he loved Rome, that he fought for justice, and that he was always loyal to his friends it was his public relations strategy. He could fit in here, in Washington D.C.

At that moment history became alive. I cannot believe in the idea that man has “progressed” because we have Caesars today. Although 2,000 years have passed, only technology has changed.

The books I read now have more meaning. Each book, regardless of author or setting, tells me more about my world, about me.

This inspired me to institute a simple loose policy, namely: take turns. Read a non-fiction book, then read a fiction book. It is a simple little rule, but it creates variety, spice, depth, and knowledge.

I can read about Pearl Harbor one week, Percy Jackson the next; the lives of Margaret Thatcher and the Hunchback of Notre Dame; the violence of Plutarch's Lives alongside the violence of the Hunger Games; a biography of Jesus contrasted with Teddy Roosevelt’s autobiography; I can read about Ender's Game and a rule book to a new board game!

(Okay, maybe that last one is a stretch, but hey, it's reading!)

The point is that reading may be hard for me, but like many other good things in this life, with the pain comes gain.

Do you like to read? What is the best book you've read in the last six months?

-Jeremiah Lorrig

6 comments:

  1. "Each book, regardless of author or setting, tells me more about my world, about me." Pretty much. When you remember the author's world, context, and what might make them write a story...it makes the story itself come alive and make more sense. Fiction or nonfiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeremiah, your story is so interesting and encouraging! :) I remember you speaking of your dyslexia at iGovern last summer, and I still find your story very encouraging! Thank you, really, for sharing. And I agree with your policy in taking turns. I absolutely love reading. From reading news, auto biographies, and big, stuffy "analytic" type books, to fictions {historical fiction is my favorite}, religious studies, and even law cases and hefty theological and philosophical books; each and every one intrigues me. And although I confess much of it I will forget in the next week, I still read it anyway. There is just something about learning, and gaining knowledge. :) A few of my favorite books in the past months {there are a few} are, The Hobbit (My favorite of the LotR series), Johnny Tremain, The Taming of the Shrew, A Christian Philosophy of Education by Gordon H. Clark, and Gospel by JD Greear. Just to name a few. Plus there is the hefty American History book I am going through for my class. So thank you again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post, I'm encouraged by it as a homeschooling mother, and I plan on sharing it. God truly makes everything beautiful in His time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing! My son is dyslexic, so it's encouraging for me to read your article.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite part of this blog is when the writer says that he began looking for the reason that Caesar was bothering with writing his book. It was a reminder of these few paragraphs from a short book by Josef Pieper called "The Silence of St. Thomas". He talks about this same thing, but he focuses on the assumptions that are so obvious to the writer that he forgets to elaborate on them extensively. Check it out:

    "What is self-evident is not discussed. It is taken for granted; it “goes without saying.” Cela va sans dire. One only has to ask: what exactly is it that is taken for granted and so may remain unexpressed?
    "In this seemingly innocent situation, which in its turn is largely taken for granted, there lies the most important and the peculiar difficulty of all textual interpretations: namely, that in a passage to be elucidated certain notions remain unexpressed because they were self-evident to the author, whereas they are in no way self-evident to the man who is interpreting the text. Consequently, he does not automatically include them in his perception. And this means that the emphasis of all he does perceive is changed. In the interpretation of a text, especially one from a civilization or epoch remote from our own, what is plainly decisive and yet by no means easy is this: to grasp those basic assumptions which, remaining unexpressed, nevertheless permeate all that is actually stated; to discover, so to speak, the hidden keynote that dominates whatever has been explicitly said.
    "It could be positively maintained that the doctrine of a thinker is precisely “the unexpressed in what is expressed.” This is how Heidegger begins his own interpretation of a Platonic text. The phrase is no doubt deliberately strained, but it is clear that an interpretation which does not reach the unspoken assumptions underlying the actual text must remain, in essence, a misinterpretation, even if in other respects the letter of the text be commented upon with considerable learning; this latter fact may, indeed, make matters worse.
    "Is there a way to get on to the track of such underlying and therefore unformulated assumptions? I think there exist several such deciphering keys. One, which I have frequently verified, is certainly this. It occasionally happens that what is unexpressed shows itself, as though through a “hole,” through a “gap” in the pattern, in a certain “jump” in the development of the thought, a kind of inconsequence in the argument. (This at least is how it appears to us, who interpret and start out with other assumptions which are just as implicit and perhaps never once explicitly formulated.) What matters is that , whenever one of these seeming illogicalities is encountered, we avoid passing over it carelessly."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am reading De Bello Gallico aloud to my son, and loving the detail and forward thinking that are involved.

    My favorite books recently have been Conn Igguldun's Mongol series. He is up to five books so far, the first three on Genghis and the others on his successors. Although historical fiction, they are well researched, and present a very stark look at the life on the steppe which led to the largest empire in history.

    For nonfiction, Eric Grietens' The Heart and the Fist was interesting. Although a shorter read than perhaps I would have wished it to run, this autobiography of a Navy Seal presents an interesting discussion of the relationship of goodness and force, and of what returning vets need.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...