Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Confessions: I Follow Obama on Facebook


Recently I was asked by a friend why I follow Obama on Facebook. She was somewhat distressed that I could support Obama when I am so clearly working in conservative circles.

I decided that I would write up my reasons. Let me know your thoughts!

There are two main reasons I follow Obama on Facebook (and receive his mailings and emails). The first is because he is the president of the country and whether I like what he is doing or not, he is in charge and is my president. The Bible commands us to pray for him, and I find that I can better pray for him when I am updated on what he is up to.  
The second reason I follow the President on Facebook is because I disagree with him. I want to know how he thinks. It is easier for me to respond to what he is doing when I know what he is doing. I read widely from the FAR right to the FAR left (and a lot of moderates in the middle). It helps me to know what the arguments are. I especially follow and read those who are influential.  
Agreeing with someone is not a requirement for my reading list. If I lived in ancient Rome, I would follow Nero on Facebook so I can keep up with the times. If I could follow him on Facebook, following Obama sounds easy.  
I know that I am rather unique in this regard and don't expect everyone else to treat the news or Facebook like I do, but because you asked, I thought I'd let you know.

Post by Jeremiah Lorrig

3 comments:

  1. Very good reasons, all. I admire you for taking the time to read the opinions of people you disagree with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. We should be well informed and know how the opposing side thinks so that we can better promote truth.

    Also, I really appreciate how you encourage people to respect and pray for our President. Although we may strongly disagree with him, we can still respect his office and ask that the Lord will open his eyes to the truth.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...