Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday Miscellaneous

Items I ran across this week that are not quite long enough to get their own posts. It's best for everyone if I don't try to combine them into a single coherent line of thought.
  • John Maynard Keynes once famously said, in response to the critique that he had changed his position on a monetary policy, “When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?” Is this an attitude we want in our politicians? Or do we let partnership get in the way, permitting favorite candidates to change their minds while not so-favorite candidates are not afforded the same luxury. Or, should we rather consider the motivation in the mind changing?
  • I’ve written before on the recession. Here’s another piece of the puzzle. It seems that in part the current mortgage mess resulted from technological advancement going beyond the scope of the legal structure. Which, of course, means that the legal structure will have to adapt. (Note: one of the biggest culprits for modern tort law is the railroads – their development and spread caused types of damage that the legal system previously hadn’t had to deal with). I wonder where real estate law is going now.
  • Disney’s recent movie Tangled seems to be hitting a nerve with some homeschoolers. Some like it. Others don't. Still others find cause for reflection.
  • When lots of legislation is passed, conservatives tend to long for a do-nothing congress. It looks like that is where the senate has arrived. Is it a good thing? Or merely the next step in not having to go on the record for any positions while the task of making decisions is turned over to the administrative departments?
Before I begin, I must point out that behind me sits a highly admired President of the United States and decorated war hero while I, a cable television talk show host, have been chosen to stand here and impart wisdom. I pray I never witness a more damning example of what is wrong with America today.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I did not realize Tangled had created such a firestorm with homeschoolers. Oversensitive much?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...